Honours Program for the 2022-23 School Year
March 15, 2022: This message is intended for those current grade 7 and 8 families who wish to apply for the 2022-23 EIPS Junior High Honours Program.
After reviewing the submitted 2022-23 EIPS Junior High Honours Applications, we still have some available room in the following grades at these sites.
Next year Grade 8
- F.R. Haythorne – 10 available spots
- Sherwood Heights – 22 available spots
Next year Grade 9
- Sherwood Heights – 10 available spots
- F.R. Haythorne – full – no spots available
Due to this availability, the Division has decided to open the application process for this week. Deadline to complete the form through your PowerSchool Parent Portal is 12:00 noon on Friday, March 18th.
**To complete the application process
- Log into your PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- The “March 14-18 EIPS Jr High Honours Application Form 22-23” should be your default page upon login. If it isn’t, click on “forms” in the left-hand menu.
- Complete the application form for your child by noon on Friday, March 18th to be considered for any available spots.
A random draw will be held should there be more applications than spots available. Conditional acceptance will be communicated the week of March 21st. To be eligible for the EIPS Junior High Honours Program the student must meet the criteria of a minimum of 80% in each of their four core subjects and maintain that honours standing for the June year-end report card.
Only those students with the completed PowerSchool application form will be considered for conditional acceptance.
If you have received an email saying you met the criteria and were given conditional acceptance at a school, you do not need to complete this form and your conditional acceptance is still valid. If you are unsure, please complete the form and contact email@example.com with your inquiry.
This decision gives all EIPS families the opportunity to apply if they either missed the deadline or didn’t complete the PowerSchool application form.
February 1, 2022: For the 2022-23 school year, the Junior High Honours program will be offered in grades 8 and 9 at Sherwood Heights Junior High and F.R. Haythorne Junior High, with one class in each grade at each school.
The Junior High Honours program is designed for students in grades 8 and 9 with high achievement in their core courses and who enjoy a challenging academic environment. Students in the program follow the Alberta Education Programs of Study.
Students must have a minimum 80 per cent average in each of the four core subjects to be eligible to apply to the Junior High Honours program. Conditional acceptance will be confirmed in early-March based on a student’s marks in the four core subjects, as of February 28. Students must maintain their honours standing on the year-end report card in June to receive final acceptance in the Honours program for the upcoming year.
If you’re interested in registering your child in the Junior High Honours program, you must:
- Indicate this interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday, February 25. Be sure to include the following information in your email:
- Student name; first and last
- Current grade of student
- Current school of student
- Parent/guardian email address
Division staff will followup on your request with additional information required to complete your Junior High Honours program application.
- Complete the returning student registration form for your child by February 28. The responses collected on the form provide the Division with the information required should your child not be accepted in the Junior High Honours program.