School Council Meeting
School Councils are formed to support the school and provide the opportunity to advise the principal and school board on any matters relating to the school and education. Our School Council is made up of parents, staff, and community members. We are a fairly informal group who meet regularly to discuss school issues.
At every meeting, members have the opportunity to hear reports from the school administration, and committee of school councils' representative as well as a report from the school board trustee assigned to our school. Participation is encouraged and there is usually lively discussion on a wide range of topics.
Our scheduled meetings for the 2019 - 2020 school year are:
- Tuesday, September 24 at 7:00 PM - Agenda & Minutes
- Tuesday, October 22 at 7:00 PM - Agenda & Minutes
- Tuesday, November 19 at 7:00 PM - Agenda & Minutes
- Tuesday, January 28 at 7:00 PM - Agenda & Minutes
- Tuesday, February 25 at 7:00 PM - Agenda
- Tuesday, March 24 at 7:00 PM - Canceled
- Tuesday, April 28 at 6:30 PM - Agenda
- Tuesday, May 26 at 7:00 PM - Agenda
It would be great to see you there!
Fee Consultation 2020
Dear Sherwood Heights families,
Under Alberta Education’s new School Fee Regulation, schools must consult with parents prior to setting school fees for the upcoming school year.
Our next school council meeting will be taking place on January 28, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. During that time, I’ll be sharing information about our current fee structure, posing specific questions about priorities, and asking you to provide your feedback as we plan for the 2020-21 school year. While many of these activities and services enhance students’ educational experience, we want to ensure these fees aren’t cost prohibitive for families.
Specifically, we will be asking for input on the following:
- Optional courses and associated fees
- Noon hour supervision
- Field trips and associated fees
- Extracurricular activities (for example, sports team fees)
- Non-curricular travel (for example, ski trips and band camps)
- Non-curricular goods and services (for example, student council, Farewell and yearbooks)
I understand not all families will be available to attend the meeting but it’s still important we get as much input from the school community as possible. Following the meeting, materials will be shared on our website for your review. You can also submit a written response to me directly email@example.com
School administration will use feedback provided to help determine fees for 2020-21, which will then be shared at the April school council meeting, posted to our website and shared via link through email.
I look forward to hearing from you on January 28.
Paul Pallister, Principal
Sherwood Heights Junior High School