Hello Sherwood Heights families!
We are excited to start this special school year! The 2019-2020 school year marks the 60th Anniversary of Sherwood Heights school – and we are eager to make it the best year ever for your child. Here is some important information as we head into the first few days.
- Today (Wednesday, August 28th) our school office is open from 8:30 – 3:00 for inquiries and new registrations.
- Thursday, August 29th – Staff return for a professional development day. Our office remains open for further inquiries.
- Friday, August 30th, the office will be closed until noon for a staff meeting. At 1:30 we will hold our Grade 7 Welcome Event. All Grade 7 students and their parents are invited to come to the school to meet their homeroom teachers, tour the school, get lockers organized receive their timetables! We will start at 1:30 pm in the Gym. Hope to see you there!
- Tuesday, September 3rd – FIRST DAY for all students! Students should arrive at the school a few minutes early to pick up timetables and will meet in their homeroom at the regular start time of 8:40.
- Wednesday, September 4th – Short day for Staff Meeting. School starts at 8:40 and ends at 2:00.
Our administration team has worked very hard on each and every student’s timetable to balance the option requests that were submitted in the spring with the size of classes. We are happy to say that in the vast majority of cases, students have received their top three choices – or more. Maximum class sizes for some courses are necessary due to space/equipment limits or due to safety reasons – we take the safety of our students seriously and as such, option changes will be difficult to accommodate. We appreciate your understanding. We also heard that PowerSchool was open in early August and some students and parents saw our “under construction” timetables – please know that we have made many changes since that time and the printed timetables handed out on Friday to the Grade 7 and Tuesday to Grade 8/9 students will more accurately reflect student’s requests and our work to balance the schedule.
On a final note – please SAVE THE DATE for Thursday, September 12th, which is the 30th Anniversary of our annual traditional Cougar Mile run! This year, we are combining our Meet the Teacher event with this legacy event, and we are inviting all parents to come in the afternoon to walk or run the one mile race route with their child. We will have food, games, music and prizes this year to celebrate both the 30th anniversary of the Mile, and the 60th year of the school. We hope you can make it – more details to follow!