June 12, 2020
Hello Sherwood Heights Families,
This notice has a large amount of significant information for families. Please take the time to review all of the documents.
We are now in the home stretch, one final week of alternative learning. Teachers will have their final posts and meets on June 19. For many, this time has been a saga full of challenges. What I do know is that together, by supporting each other, we have been able to move forward as a school community. Thank you for being supportive of the teachers and for guiding your children at home.
I remain very grateful for the incredible staff here at Sherwood Heights who continue to post lessons regularly and meet with your children to provide learning opportunities.
I want to share a few points as we move towards the end of the year:
- A reminder that June 21 is National Indigenous Peoples Day in Canada. I do hope that you will take time to reflect on our shared history and consider how you can further your understanding of Indigenous history, our current reality and discover your path to be a part of reconciliation.
- Teachers will be using their professional judgement using assessment evidence collected all year up to the last day of instruction, June 19, to provide students with a final letter grade rather than a percentage grade in core courses. Report card marks will be available on Power School at the end of June.
- Credits towards future school fees or refunds are available to parents as per the email sent on June 8. Please refer to this memo for further information.
- Grade 9 families are invited to join us for a simplified Farewell. Please download the invitation for this special celebration.
- All items borrowed from the school: texts, reading books, band instruments and Chromebooks will need to be returned between June 22 and 24. Please book an appointment through this link, to return learning materials for each of your children as well as to schedule your grade 9 Farewell. The booking site will open for bookings on Tuesday, June 16 at 3 pm. If you require a code, it is pmyay.
- In order to determine what items are outstanding, have your child connect to their destiny library account (instructions can be found here). To assist, a separate email will be sent on Tuesday with details of what has been borrowed and required to be returned during the week of June 22. All materials must be returned prior to school fees being credited or refunded.
- Materials for Grade 7 and 8s will be dropped off at the front door. Parents can park out front and may need to line up out front of the school doors to await their turn. Grade 9 parents and students will use the gym entrance. Staff will scan in materials, ensure band instruments are in good condition and turn on Chromebooks to ensure they are functional. Please make sure Chromebooks are charged upon return.
- When you return your materials, students who have earned an award will have an envelop to pick up with certificates.
- During Materials Drop-off and Farewell, there will be NO access to washrooms or the rest of the school. Attendees may choose to wear masks. Social distancing will be reinforced.
As the province moves into the second stage of re-opening our society, please continue to stay safe and follow the advice of our Alberta Health officials.
Please read the Letter from EIPS regarding start up plans for 2020-21 school year. Within this letter you will find details from Alberta Education.
During this time of global concerns, I ask you to consider this quote.
“When you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it. ” —Jiddu Krishnamurti (1895-1986)
Paul Pallister - Principal