May 1, 2020
Sherwood Heights staff wants to once again thank you for your support as we focus on consistent engagement in learning. Thank you to those who joined us for our April 28th school council meeting. We will be holding another virtual meet near the end of May. As well, thank you to those who responded to our survey from two weeks ago. Below you will find a number of information items.
Changes which are responsive to the recent parent survey:
- We will be reducing the number of Class Meets from daily to three times per week. The new schedule has been shared with students. This will focus the intentionality of the class meets as well as free up teacher time to connect with students who are struggling.
- New lesson material will be provided 4 days per week rather than five. Many were finding that the daily lessons were excessive.
- Overall parents are very satisfied with alternative learning at SWH. Thank you for the many positive comments and to our staff for all of their efforts.
Formative assessment feedback to students on their learning will begin now:
- Student work that is submitted may not always be graded by the teacher. In some cases, we only provide feedback on the learning. If a task is assessed, grades will now begin to be posted in PowerSchool. This work will not directly affect the grade shown in PowerSchool, as it is formative. It will, however, give you some idea as to how your child is progressing.
- The division is working together with all schools on a process for summative assessment of student learning. Teacher professional judgement will continue to be instrumental in determining final grades. More information to come.
We have changed direct supports for students in a few classes:
- Physical Education and Complementary Course teachers are taking a more operational role in core classes. These staff members have been designated as co-lead teachers and will now be leading some core classes. This change allows for greater assistance and connection time with students. The responsibility for programming and assessment still resides with the lead teacher.
The 2020-2021 Registration Program Guide is now available on our website. Please take time this weekend to review the guide with your child. An online option request form will be sent out on May 5. Due to tight timelines, option requests must be electronically submitted by May 7. After this date, administration will place students in options. Here is a summary of a few new offerings.
- Recreational Fitness is now called Activity Plus and will have optional field trips.
- A new option for grade 8 and 9 students is entitled ‘Heights Influencer’. This course will focus on Media and Marketing.
- The success of our challenge and booster ‘Core +’ classes in grade 7 has encouraged us to offer these as options to both grade 8 and 9 students.
I wish you all a great weekend. Please let us know if you need any type of support. We are available to help out as best as we can.
Mr. Pallister - Principal