Welcome to the first article in a series called “In The Know” — designed to help parents, guardians and other adults in the Sherwood Heights community navigate the waters of supporting their teens through the junior high years and beyond.
At our school council meeting the other night, one of the topics of conversation was how can the school best help parents and guardians in such areas as teen mental health, community supports, learning disabilities, vaping, and many other areas. Often there are many resources available, but it can be overwhelming to determine what is the best resource or where the most local information can be found.
"In The Know" will be a regularly occurring series that will highlight resources, events, and trends that affect teens and the adults who support them.
Today's article will highlight the Caregiver Series — a collaboration between Elk Island Public Schools, Elk Island Catholic Schools, and Alberta Health Services Family and Community Services. The sessions are free and geared toward parents, caregivers, teachers, and community members who want to learn more about challenges impacting children and adolescents. This year, session topics include anxiety, ADHD, depression, self-harm, technology, teens and teaching leadership skills, and more.
Dates and topics for the Caregiver Series are below:
- Keeping Scattered Kids on Track: Supporting Children and Adolescents with ADHD
- 6:00 p.m., November 27, Elk Island Catholic Schools Central Learning Services, 310 Broadview Rd, Sherwood Park
- Promoting Success in Learning by Building Executive Functioning Skills
- 6:00 p.m., February 18, Lakeland Ridge School, 101 Crimson Drive, Sherwood Park
- Sleeping Your Way to Better Mental Health
- 6:00 p.m., March 5, St André Bessette, 8300 South Fort Drive, Fort Saskatchewan
- Technology and the Teenage Brain: Parents & Teens (Grades 7-12) to attend together
- 6:00 p.m., April 16, F.R. Haythorne Junior High, 300 Colwill Blvd, Sherwood Park
- More than Just a Bad Day: Understanding Depression and Self-Injury
- 6:00 p.m., May 7, Elk Island Catholic Schools Central Learning Services, 310 Broadview Rd, Sherwood Park
- Test Anxiety: Strategies for Success: Parents & Teens to attend together
- 6:00 p.m., June 4, Salisbury High School, 20 Festival Way, Sherwood Park
In the Know is a series of articles provided by Sherwood Heights to help families in supporting social, emotional, mental, and physical health for their teens. If you have an idea for an article for this series, please contact the school or Assistant Principal Kris Reid at email@example.com.