Hello Sherwood Heights Families,
Happy New Year. I hope that this message finds you and your extended family healthy. Even though Covid is constantly in our thoughts, we have much to celebrate and for which to be grateful.
Sherwood Heights staff wants to once again thank you for your support and patience as we managed a month of on-line learning. In-school learning begins on Monday and we know this is the best place for students to learn as well as developing social and emotional skills. We are all looking forward to reconnecting.
I remain very grateful for the incredible staff here at Sherwood Heights and all of the extras that have been done over the course of the year to provide the best possible learning environment for students. Staff will continue to post information in BrightSpace to support learning opportunities for those who may need to be at home for a period of time. I encourage parents to access the parent portal.
I want to share a few points regarding re-entry to school:
- Parents are reminded to continue to talk to your child about daily Covid screening.
- If all is well, please send your child to school with two masks and reinforce proper protocol for wearing the mask. We will be going over this again with students at the start of the day.
- Students will have access to their lockers; however, we ask that students not bring all supplies to school on Monday as we will not have dedicated time to set up lockers. Please send your child to school with only the materials required for Monday’s scheduled classes. Students should continue to bring locker materials throughout the week.
- If your child is struggling in any way, please reach out to the school as we have implemented additional counselling support. Mme. Harry and Mme. Staub will be available to answer questions, provide access to resources or just to chat.
- A number of families borrowed a Chromebook to support learning while at home. Please ensure that the device and the charging cord are brought back to school on Monday. Students will be called down to the library at some point during the day in order to return the items. Refunds for the deposit will be applied to school fees. If this does not work for your family, please contact our Business Manager - Elaine Foote.
- Some families may have traveled outside of Canada during the Christmas break. As per the Government of Alberta’s health orders, individuals who do so are required to isolate for 14 days following their return to Alberta. If your family participated in the international border testing pilot program, please note that students cannot go back to school until they have their second test and received a negative result from that test. If this impacts your family, please keep the school informed.
We will continue to do our best to ensure that school is a safe place for students and staff. We thank you again for your continued support of Sherwood Heights.
A great way for parents to provide advice on the direction of school is through participating in our school council meetings. Please note that the next meeting is scheduled for January 19. If you have never attended a meeting and are wanting to be part of our virtual meeting, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org so that I may add you to the list of potential participants and send you a link to our meeting.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the school.
Paul Pallister - Principal